The Lewis and Clark Expedition, in its movement across the North American Continent, finalized its trek to the Pacific Ocean across what is now the State of Washington. In anticipation of the bicentennial of the expedition, the Washington State Society Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) marked four Lewis and Clark Expedition campsites across Washington State with stones engraved with original diary excerpts of the expedition. The stones are each 42" high and made of Lake Superior green granite. This marker, with a journal entry by William Clark, is outside of the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center, 990 SW Rock Creek Drive in Stevenson, Skamania County, Washington.
On the front of the marker is the DAR insignia, L&C Corps of Discovery Logo, and the title, "Lewis and Clark Trail". On the back of the marker, the inscription is as follows:
October 30, 1805 William Clark recorded in his journal that on this date, “A wet disagreeable evening, the only wood we could get to burn on this “little island” on which we have encamped is the newly discovered ash which makes a tolerable fire.“ The “little island” is about 1 ½ miles downstream from this marker and is submerged by the waters of the Bonneville Dam. April 14, 1806 Meriwether Lewis recorded in his journal that on this date: “The mountains through which the river passes... are high, broken, rocky, partially covered with fir white cedar, and in many places exhibit very romantic seenes." Marker placed by Washington State Society - Daughters of the American Revolution - December 3, 1999.
The Washington State DAR received a $10,000 grant from the National Park Service, under the direction of Richard Williams, for markers and the Tresko Monument company of Spokane contracted to make the markers. According to WSSDAR State Historian Leota King, the states of Kansas, Missouri, Montana, and Washington used the same stone and design to bring conformity to the Trail. Approximately 35 members and friends gathered on a cloudy, blustery and rainy day, December 3, 1999, to witness the dedication of this marker Shirley Wagers, WSSDAR State Regent, gave the opening address.
Excerpt from Lewis & Clark Trail Heritage Foundation WA Chapter Newsletter, January 2000 edition: “Approximately 35 members and friends showed up on a cloudy, blustery and rainy day to witness the dedication of this beautiful marker. Shirley Wagers, WSSDAR State Regent, gave the opening address and Barbara Carlson, WSSDAR 2nd Vice Regent (and the newest member of our WS LCTHF chapter along with her husband, Richard) arid Leota "Lee" King, WSSDAR State Historian, and WS LCTHF member, unveiled the newest granite marker;
The Washington State DAR received a $10,000 grant from the National Park Service, under the direction of Richard Williams, for markers and the Tresko Monument company of Spokane contracted to make the markers...Leota King reports that the states of Kansas, Missouri, Montana, and Washington are using the same stone and design to bring conformity to the Trail. Other states plan to join this DAR effort as the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition approaches.”
Stenstrom, Della. Stirling, Shirley. Historical Marker Review 1894-2016 Washington State Society NSDAR. Union Gap, WA. WSSDAR, 2016.
. . https://lewisandclarkjournals.unl.edu/journals/contents. University of Nebraska Press