Joseph Haile House (Modern Name: Gardner House)
Built in 1806 during the Jefferson Presidency, the Federal-style, three-and-a-half story brick townhome was built by mason Joseph Haile. During the 1930s, Dr. Gardner and his wife restored the house, overseeing significant repairs to the house and introducing several design changes. Today the house functions as a place for visiting dignitaries and guests visiting Brown University.
Backstory and Context
Lynch, Ancelin V. "Nomination Form: Gardner House and/or Haile (Joseph) House." National Register of Historic Places. April 18, 1972. https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/e0bdef3d-e4b4-442f-8328-c307450ed241/
Mitchell, Martha. Encyclopedia Brunoniana. Providence: Brown University Library, 1993. http://www.brown.edu/Administration/News_Bureau/Databases/Encyclopedia/search.php?serial=G0020
Joseph Haile House: By Kenneth C. Zirkel - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28318533
April, 1958: Historic American Buildings Survey, Laurence E. Tilley, Photographer, found at the Library of Congress at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ri0199.photos.146195p/resource/