Oddfellow's hall and nearby Saint Mary's Episcopal Church are the only surviving Victorian public buildings near the site of Watchemoket Square, a reminder of time when the district thrived.
Two bridges built across the Seekonk River provided easy access to Watchmemoket, and within a few years after its annexation to Rhode Island, people no longer had to pay tolls to cross the bridges, making for easy access as well as free access to Watchemoket.
By 1872, a mere ten years after Rhode Island annexed Watchemoket, the town enjoyed streetcar lines and a population boom -- eventually becoming the most populous in the community. Watchemoket supported a library, police station and political halls by 1890. And, by the last decade of the 19th century, Oddfellow Hall functioned as the civic center for the district that later became known as East Providence, a suburb of Providence.
However, that all came to an end in the middle part of the 20th century when the Interstate Highway System went through the district. Fast moving highways and Interstate expressways served commuters but severed many communities. The community dwindled after the arrival of the interstate but this building was preserved and serves reminder of the former central business district of what became East Providence.