Clio Logo

In 1809, following the 1806 cession of Cherokee lands north of the Tennessee River to the United States government, the General Assembly appointed five commissioners to select a site for the seat of newly formed Giles County. The act required that the site be on Richland Creek and near the center of the county. The commissioners surveyed the land of what is now Pulaski and divided it for auction. By 1811, a log courthouse stood at the center of the town square. The current courthouse, completed in 1909, is the fifth to sit at this location. The surrounding commercial district is comprised of buildings dating from the 1860s to the 1930s, exhibiting a range of architectural styles. *need some noteworthy events. (Add a small handful of individual buildings to the tour separately?)