Niles Depot Historical Foundation
The Niles passenger and freight depots located in the Niles District of Fremont, California, are home to a railroad museum and two new model railroad layouts. Included are the depots and the nearby Niles Tower with the crossing of the Southern Pacific and Western Pacific railroads as well as the many neighboring communities and industries.
Backstory and Context
"The Niles Depot Museum's primary focus is early railroads of Fremont, Newark, and Union City with an emphasis on the Niles District of Fremont - mainly the Southern Pacific and Western Pacific Railroads. Present-day railroads such as Union Pacific and Amtrak are also featured, as well as earlier railroads of the area such as the South Pacific Coast.
The museum features a wide variety of exhibits including:
• Equipment & photographs from Niles Tower
• Operating railroad signals
• Passenger train uniforms and artifacts
• Railroad lanterns
• Historic track tools
• Telegraph & railroad communications equipment
• Artifacts & photos of Niles and local areas
• History and photographs of other local area depots
• WP467, a Western Pacific Railroad caboose." 1