Clio Logo

The Gregg County Historical Museum preserves and shares the history of Longview and East Texas. Exhibits related to the pioneer history of the region, architecture, and military equipment are among the highlights of the museum. The museum also features the Flo Stevens Research Center, which offers archives related to local history and genealogical research.


  • The Everett Building was constructed in 1910 and is among the city's few remaining structures from the early 20th century.

The museum is housed in the historic Everett Building, which was built in 1910 and is one of the few structures in Longview remaining from the early 20th century. As such, it holds great importance for the city as it is itself a historical artifact; it is a link to the period when the cotton and oil industries were thriving in Texas. It is also one of the few Classical Revival buildings in the city, featuring wood and stone ornamentation and Corinthian columnns. 

Numerous businesses have been located in the Everett Building including a drug store, barber shop, art gallery, clothing store, and even the American Red Cross during World War II. Doctors, dentists, and lawyers have also operated practices here. The building stood essentially vacant from 1960 until 1979, when the Gregg County Historical Foundation purchased it. After renovations were completed the foundation opened the museum in 1984. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places 1979.

"Building History." Gregg County Historical Foundation. Accessed July 25, 2017. http://gregghistorical.org/building-history.

Mrs. Paul B. Belding & Danny Hardy. "Everett Building." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. November 15, 1979. https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/NR/pdfs/79002948/79002948.pdf.