Southern School (1874-1956)
The Southern School was established in 1874 for Chillicothe’s African American children. Its principal, Joseph D. Hackley, and teachers, Sara K. Fidler, Jennie Gilmore, George Hackley, and Annie E. Nickens, taught children grades one through six. When the Supreme Court ruled segregated schools unconstitutional through Brown v. Board of Education in 1954, citizens of Chillicothe petitioned the board of education to integrate their schools. Southern School held its last day of class on June 1, 1956. The building was razed later that year, and the property is now a public park.
Peck, G. Richard. Chillicothe, Ohio. Charleston, South Carolina. Arcadia Publishing, 1999. Via Google Books.