Cotton Belt Depot Museum
The former Cotton Belt Depot is now a public museum filled with artifacts related to rail transportation, such as lanterns, stoves, switch keys, and various tools. There is also an impressive model train collection, featuring 200 locomotives and 1,600 cars. The depot was used for passenger service from 1905, when it was built by the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, until 1956. Its architecture is typical of train depots during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, incorporating Prairie, Mission Revival, and Craftsman architectural styles. It is the oldest remaining railroad-related building in Tyler and an important symbol of the city's history. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. The museum opened in the early 2000s.
Williams, Diane E. "St. Louis Southwestem Railway (Cotton Belt) Passenger Depot." National Park Service - National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. August 8, 2001. https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/NR/pdfs/01000873/01000873.pdf.