The owner of Exposition Park I named it as such because he said it was going to be used as a sports stadium and other such expositions such as horse racing and circuses. Starting in 1882 the Allegheny's, of the American Association, would start playing at the stadium, making it the first stadium in Pittsburgh to host a baseball game. The team would only make it through one season in the stadium though because it flooded and caught fire in the off season.
The owners decided to rebuild the park near the same location. While building the Exposition Park II you would think that they had learned from their mistakes and try to build a stadium that didn't flood. This did not happen they actually built the stadium closer to the Allegheny River. The flooding continued and the Allegheny's would only play there until 1884 when they moved north out of the flood plains to Recreation Park.
With the Allegheny's playing at another ball park owners of the Pittsburgh Burgher's, a Players' League team, John Beemer and M.B. Lennon decided to try and build another stadium in this area. Exposition Park III was built with the location changing just slightly again trying to help with the flooding issue. It was built a few blocks west from where PNC Park is located today. The stadium was built as a 10,000 seat stadium with a wooden grandstand and bleacher areas extending out on both sides towards the outfield. They built the stadium with the outfield closest to the river hoping to help with the flooding issues. The Burgher's would play their only season of existence in the new stadium in 1890. Three other football teams were also playing their home games there as well at the time they were the Allegheny Athletic Association (1890-1896), Duquesne Country & A.C. (1895-1900), and Homestead Library & A.C. Football Team (1900-1901.)
The Allegheny's now called the Pirates would move back to the stadium the following year. The Pirates would go on to have several successful seasons in the stadium winning the National League pennant in 1901, 1902, and 1903 At the end of the 1903 season Pirates owner Barney Dreyfuss and the owner of the Boston Americans, the American League pennant winners of that year, decided that the two winners should play each other and the winner crowned the champion. The first World Series would be played in 1903 and Exposition Park III would become the first National League stadium to hold a World Series game. The Pirates would win the first game in the stadium by one run but would not win another game in the stadium during the series and went on to lose. In 1903 The Western University of Pennsylvania now know as the University of Pittsburgh would start playing their home games at Exposition Park.
The Pirates enjoyed a lot of successes at Exposition Park but the flooding issues were never solved. The outfield was always flooding sometime as high as head level in deep center field. The players would often stand out in the water and to play and after catching fly balls or pop ups they dive into the standing water. In 1906 there was another first at Exposition Park as it became the first stadium to use a tarp to cover the field during a rain delay. Dreyfuss fed up with the flooding at the stadium and the types of businesses that were moving in around the stadium decided to move the Pirates in 1909. Last game played there by the Pirates was June 24, 1909 against the Chicago Cubs.
With the Pirates moving out a team from the United States Baseball League called the Filipinos moved in. There first year of playing there was in 1912 it would only last just over a month due to financial issues. The next team that would play there would be the Stogies, of the Federal League, in 1914. They had a fairly successful first season and changed their name to the Rebels but the entire league would go under after the following year. That was the last time a full time baseball team would play in the stadium. The stadium was later destroyed and the land would eventually become home to PNC Park and Heinz Field. In 1995 the Society for American Baseball Research put a where they believed home plate would have been to commemorate the site of the first World Series. In 1998 a Pennsylvania Historical Marker was also placed at the site.