Clio Logo

This historical marker indicates the location where, on November 15, 1642 English settlers and Native Americans, known as the Pentuckets, signed a deed granting the land to the settlers. It was recorded twice, once in Ipswich Court and then in Norfolk County Court (the original Norfolk County extended to the Merrimack River). The town was given its current name upon the signing of the deed.


  • The marker is located on Mill Street opposite the Linwood Cemetery.
"Deeds." Southern Essex District Registry of Deeds. Accessed July 8, 2018.  http://www.nativeamericandeeds.com/deeds_toc.aspx.

"Pentucket-Haverhill 1630-1930." The Historical Marker Database. Accessed July 8, 2018.  https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=47862&Result=1.

Photo: Michale Tiernan, via The Historical Marker Database