Rice's Hotel / Hughlett's Tavern is located on Route 360 in the heart of the Historic Town Square. The Tavern sits directly behind the Old Court House and is one of the oldest surviving wood structures in Virginia's Northern Neck. The original three-room tavern was built by John Hughlett some 250 years ago, and is on both the Virginia and National Registers of Historic Places.
The Rice's Hotel / Hughlett's Tavern Foundation was created in 1990 by the Northumberland County Historical Society to oversee the property donated by Mrs. Cecelia Fallin Rice.
The Central portion of this building, located directly behind the old courthouse, has elements dating back to the establishment of the courthouse in Heathsville in 1681.