The hotel reached its peak between 1870 and 1920, when families could easily travel by steamer from Philadelphia or Wilmington to the area. At least one steamer made daily excursions to The Piers, as the area was known locally. A trip by steamer to the area cost thirty cents and visitors from every US state signed the hotel's register in its heyday.
In the 1920s, the steamers ceased making their runs to the Augustine Beach area, and the hotel eventually closed and fell into disrepair. The property changed owners several times over the years, eventually reopening in 2011 after a new owner purchased the property and made significant renovations. At the time of this writing, the former hotel serves as a VFW post. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.