Clio Logo

The building was constructed between 1818 and 1820 of bricks made in Brandonville. The Hagans Store Began in 1818, operated by Harrison Hagans and his brothers.


  • Front view of store from SR 26 (view from west to east)

The store carried a wide variety of hardware, dry goods, patent medicines and in some years, alcoholic beverages. Local residents brought produce and hand made items to trade for their supplies. The store also served banking needs because there were no banks in the area. Militia drills and "law days" were held. Thsi ws the center of a mercantile enterprise with other stores in Kingwood, WV, Addison, PA, and Fairmont, WV and sometimes peddlers on the road.

Sisler, Janice Cale.  2018. Message text from the Director, Hagans Store Foundation, Inc., P.O. Box 118, Bruceton Mills, WV, jsisler@frontiernet.net.