The First Presbyterian Church was built in 1878. It was made of local brick and the cost of the building and furnishings was approximately $6,000.00.
Inside the church, the four centered arched ceiling above is
of chestnut, highly varnished and showing the wood grain. The great girders
which drop below, or out from the ceiling, give a look of great strength to the
building. Standing in the middle aisle, it is 26 feet from the floor to where
these girders join, while the corbels on which they rest at the side are only
eight feet from the floor.
Ward, Bryan. Kingwood Preservation Plan. Morgantown, WV. West Virginia University, 1997. This book was produced by the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences, Institute for the History of Technology and Industrial Archaeology at West Virginia University for Main Street Kingwood. Printed in the United States of America Copyright 1997 Main Street Kingwood. All rights reserved. Cover illustration by Paul Boxley and cover photograph courtesy of W.G. (Bill) Williams. Main Street Kingwood, 101 East Main St., P.O. Box 357, Kingwood, WV 26537