The exterior of Battersea exhibits a five-part Palladian style design complete with a Roman pine cone finial atop the roof, a symbol of fertility and immortality. The exterior remains well-preserved from the early 19th century and all sections of the house are original with no later additions present.
Backstory and Context
This double portico was again reduced to a one-story, Federal style portico by Judge May, who owned Battersea until 1841. May also altered the three other porticos of Battersea to resemble a Federal style. Additionally, May added the Venetian windows with excellently crafted gauged-brick jack arches. The altered windows further reflect neo-Palladian architecture in Europe at the time. Battersea today most closely resembles the May era. Few changes to the exterior or interior were made after his ownership of the property. As such, the historical and architectural integrity remains remarkably well preserved. The front door to the property is also original, and hand painted to resemble wood grain by master faux finish artist, Elaine Tucker- Haviland, who owns Faux Finish Creations in Richmond, VA.