In 1875, Lodge 497, Free & Accepted Masons was organized. It was originally located on Ferry Street in a large, two-story brick building, which had cost $2,000 to build. Record floods in 1913 and 1937 caused some damage to the structure, leading to the basement getting filled in and concrete floors being poured. In 1966, a new lodge was completed on Solida Road. The building and lot cost $20,000, with much of the work being done by craftsman members.