Located on Collins Avenue and 24th Street between the Intracoastal Waterway and the Atlantic Ocean, the original Traymore Hotel building was finished in 1939. It reopened in 2014 as the COMO Metropolitan Miami Beach after it was foreclosed and underwent renovation. The street was named for John Collins, the developer who built the first bridge connecting the strip to the mainland in 1913. The building is located just one mile from the historic Art Deco District.
The 91-unit hotel was built in 1939 and is the oldest surviving
building on the block. It was designed by architect Albert Anis (1889–1964)
whom was known for his Art Deco architecture. He was one of a group of
American-born architects working in Miami Beach who synthesized the
austere architectural principles of the International Style architecture with
their own brand of modernism which embraced the ornamentation and exotic lure
of the tropical. Anis designed 11 buildings, including the Promenade,
Mantell Plaza, Copley Plaza, and Westover Arms.
The Surfside-Traymore was opened in the Spring of 1945,
to provide quarters for more than 400 enlisted and officer personnel awaiting
separation from service. It was utilized as a hospital during WWII, and was
designated a historic landmark by The Miami Design Preservation League. That
designation carries with it the requirement that the building’s original
façade, ground floor tiling and Art Deco architectural accents surrounding the
building’s exterior remain in their original form. In December of 1945, just a
few streets up, the Pancoast was the last of the military hotels to be returned
to civilian use.
Miami played an important role in World War II when
many of its recreational buildings were put to more serious work by the
military. Miami was a base for the US Navy’s fight against German U boats, and
many military schools, supply stations, and communications facilities were
established here. The authorities converted hotels to barracks, cinemas to
classrooms, and beaches and golf courses to training grounds.
The hotel was renovated in 1990 and went out of
service in 2006-07, was “torn apart,” and was never put back together. The new
hotel front opened in early 2014 after it foreclosed in 2010. The former
Traymore Hotel became the first U.S. property for COMO Hotels and Resorts and the
interior reimagined by Italian designer Paola Navone as the 74-room COMO
Metropolitan Miami Beach. Navone has been at the forefront of world-class interiors
for over 30 years.
The present hotel in the historic
building has a restaurant and bar named The Traymore located on the premises
(the name a nod to the former hotel housed there).