Completed in 1894, Williamsport’s Old City Hall served as the seat of the town’s government until the early 21st century. The three to four-story building was designed by local architect, Eber Culver, in a late Victorian Romanesque Revival style. It was recently converted into commercial space and its upper floors transformed into the City Hall Grand Hotel after Williamsport's governmental offices moved into the former U.S. Post Office along West 4th Street. The building and grounds occupy an entire city block and include grass-lined sidewalks, parking and a Civil War memorial. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Williamsport’s City Hall in 1976.
was incorporated as a borough in 1806 and as a city in 1866, a year after the
conclusion of the Civil War. Its downtown
was severely damaged by fire in 1871 and roughly twenty years later, the city
government began plans for the construction of a city hall befitting the city’s
status as the “Lumber Capital of the World” and the home of Millionaire’s Row. In the late 19th century,
Williamsport contained more millionaire’s, per-capita, than any other city in
the world. This history is reflected in
the fact that it’s high school sports teams are known as the Millionaires.
location of their city hall, the local government chose land that was occupied
by the neglected and overgrown Ross Park Cemetery that contained the remains of
town father, Michael Ross and his family.
There is some speculation that Mark Twain, after visiting Williamsport and
viewing the dilapidated cemetery, penned a short essay entitled, “The Remarkable
Dream,” written from the perspective of an unhappy resident of the cemetery who
seeks new accommodations elsewhere.
Thankfully, the remains of those at Ross Park Cemetery were relocated to
Williamsport Cemetery, along Washington Street, prior to the city hall’s
secured the services of Eber Culver who designed a large Romanesque Revival
building which is dominated by its two towers, a rectangular one soaring
six-stories high and a squat octagonal one.
The yellow brick building is trimmed in stone and terra cotta columnns
and its steep pitched roof features numerous gables, dormers, and copper ornamentation. Also prominent within its architecture are
its many windows and doorways with low sprung, rounded arches.
offices, to include that of the mayor, were located within the Old City Hall
until the arrival of the 21st century, when they were moved to the
large former U.S. Post Office Building. Soon
after, the former city hall was sold to a private entity and became home to
commercial offices and the City Hall Grand Hotel. The new owners have left Williamsport’s
famous Civil War “Trumpeter” Memorial in place at the building’s entrance and
have added a ceremonial tombstone to mark the place where the Ross Park
Cemetery once existed. The hotel also
recognizes the building’s and city’s history through its themed rooms that
include the Culver, Twain, Little League Baseball, Houdini, and Lumber rooms