The Ohio Stove Company (OSCO) was established in 1872 in Portsmouth, Ohio and manufactured wood-burning cooking and heating stoves. At the company's centennial celebration, the company changed its name to OSCO Industries, Inc. In 1966, the company opened a branch in Jackson at the location of the Crown Pipe and Iron Foundry. The factory was originally built for the Crown Pipe and Iron Foundry, of Marietta, Ohio in 1902. In 1956, the Crown Pipe and Iron Foundry was closed, and OSCO bought the building in 1965. The following year operations began in the Jackson facility.
Backstory and Context
The location from which OSCO currently operates was originally built for the Crown Pipe and Iron Foundry of Marietta, Ohio. In 1902, Edwin Jones, an economic developer in Jackson, convinced the company to relocate to Jackson. The Crown Pipe and Iron Foundry operated in Jackson until 1956 when it closed after a two-week, two-hundred-worker strike. The building remained vacant until 1965 when it was bought by OSCO.