This Gothic-style church was built in 1926 at a cost of more than $1 million. The church featured a four-story community center and a meeting hall and gymnasium in addition to the sanctuary and classrooms. The congregation voted to close the church in 1975 owing to the gulf between the cost of its upkeep and their shrinking numbers that reflected the larger history of the city.
The church was once one of the premier buildings in Gary has been abandoned for many years. A fire in 1997 led to the partial collapse of the building's roof, making the building in desperate need of repair.