Contruction on the Tower began in 1910. It was meant to be a spring fed water tower that held more than 100,000 gallons of water. It was completed in 1911. Eventually a new water tower was created because this one was so unconventional. The university turned this one into offices.
Backstory and Context
The Tower was in use until 1962. At that point a new water tower needed to be created because of the growing population on campus. The Tower was then gutted and made into offices. At the time it housed the school yearbook, the literary magazine, and and the newspaper. The literary magazine is named the Tower, in the namesake of this building on campus. Today the Tower houses the Environmental Studies and Sustainability programs.
Hultquist, Clark. Heatherly, Carey. Images of America Montevallo. Charleston, South Carolina. Arcadia Publishing, 2011.
Tipton, Mary Frances. Years Rich & Fruitful University of Montevallo 1896-1996. Montevallo, Alabama. Univeristy of Montevallo, 1996.
Photographs are from the Milner Archives in the University of Montevallo Library.