Comer Hall was named for Braxton Bragg Comer, known as the educational governor from 1907-1911. Comer was a cadet at the University of Alabama at the time it was destroyed. After the war, B.B. graduated with honors from a school in Virginia. He became one of the most successful plantation owners in the state, and though he moved due to the malarial conditions in his county, he never stopped loving plantations. His business adventures brought him to conflict with railroads, and he organized a protest against unfair railway rates, gaining him the popularity to become state governor in 1906. The building was dedicated to B.B. Comer on April 25, 1940.