Bloch Hall was the first purely academic building constructed on campus. It opened at the beginning of the 1915-16 academic session, and first housed several laboratories and classrooms for lab sciences, domestic sciences, and fine arts. Today, it is still used for fine arts and family and consumer science classes.
Backstory and Context
The building was often referred to as the "new science building," but when Harman Hall was built the majority of the science classes were moved out of Bloch. Now, it only houses fine arts and family consumer sciences courses.
Alabama Girls' Technical Institute. 'Alabama Girls' Technical Institute Bulletin: Catalog 1914-15.' 1 July 1915.