Clio Logo

Named after Dr. Francis Marion Peterson, Peterson hall was built in 1913. It was originally built as the college infirmary. It is now used for studio art classes.


  • A description of Peterson Hall taken from the 1914-15 course catalog
  • A photo negative of Peterson Hall

Before Peterson Hall was opened as the school infirmary, there was not an adequate place to send injured and sick students where they could be cared for and kept from spreading illness to other students. Originally, a room was set aside in Main Hall for this purpose, and later King House was used, as it could hold more patients. 

When Peterson Hall opened as the infirmary in 1914, it could house almost twice as many patients as King House. It has since been renovated multiple times to serve different purposes, including the Health and Counseling Centers and the Communications Center.

Griffith, Lucille. White columnns and Red Brick. Montevallo, Alabama. University of Montevallo Press, 1988. 

Alabama Girls' Technical Institute. Alabama Girls' Technical Institute Bulletin: Catalog 1914-15. 1 July 1915.