false front commercial building type of Pacific City Hall was an icon of the pioneer
West. For a developing town in the early 20th Century, the false front commercial building was an economical solution that allowed building owners to budget their
major spending on a facade while using lesser expensive materials or treatments on the secondary sides of
The Pacific City Hall building also was home to the first post office in 1904, a time before home delivery when residents came to collect their mail. With a cash grocer on the street level and a barbershop next door, almost everyone in the Huntington Beach Township would have passed through its doors.
In 1916, the Sarrabere family's 65-year ownership of the building began. They operated a family drycleaning business there until 1981. Pacific City Hall survived an earlier threat of demolition in 1989, after community outcry saved it. In more recent years, a gelato shop operated in the building, while the second floor interior remained untouched from pioneer days.
In 2015, the Huntington Beach City Council voted to
approve the demolition of the majority of the
Pacific City Hall building for new development, requiring the builder attempt to save the Western false front facade as an architectural treatment for a new four-story