Pony Express Memorial
Located in a small triangle at the intersection of Francis and 10th Streets is a memorial to the Pony Express, which was a mail delivery service that operated from April 3, 1860 to October 1861. Mail was carried by men riding fast horses on a route that began here in St. Joseph and ended in Sacramento, California. The memorial consists of a large bronze sculpture of a rider on his horse atop a stone base inscribed with the words "The Pony Express." Artist Hermon A. MacNeil created the sculpture. The memorial is surrounded by a short metal fence and there is a bench for people for people to sit on. The memorial was dedicated on April 20, 1940, the 80th anniversary of the Pony Express.
Backstory and Context
The service was established by William Russell, Alexander Majors, and William Waddell, who were already experienced in the shipping industry. There were numerous stations on the route and riders could travel between 70-100 miles per day. There were two kinds of stations: those where riders could quickly switch horses and those where riders could eat a meal and stay overnight. Needless to say, the stations were a critical part of the service.
Convention & Visitors Bureau. Pony Express Monument. March 13, 2016. Accessed April 09, 2018. https://stjomo.com/directory-listing/pony-express-monument.