Notable features of the house include its corner quoins, the Italianate porch with scroll brackets, gables with cross-bracing and the cruciform interior plan, and the results of the T-shape design consisting of crossed, steeply gabled rooflines. The brick chimney ties the house together, and it is believed to have remained entirely intact after the 1906 San Fransisco earthquake.
Though not much is known about Landrum, his house speaks to his influence in early Santa Clara history; less than 2,500 people called Santa Clara home when Landrum purchased the plot of land in 1874. Landrum was advertised as a carpenter in the Santa Clara County Directory while Landrum, Miss M. 1217 Santa Clara Avenue was included in the Social Directory of 1903, one of only twenty-nine women listed in the directory, alluding to the caliber of their (elevated) social status.
No significant modifications have changed the building since Landrum designed the house, and it remains one of Santa Clara's oldest and best-preserved houses.