Lynch Colored Public School
The school began as a five bay wide, two-story, brick building and was enlarged over the years by the addition of five more bays to the east. Brick pilasters with inset panels bordering each opening, while small stone squares segment the window lintels. Following integration of the schools in 1963, the building functioned as the West Main High School. The building is in relatively good condition and although it hasn’t operated as a school for awhile, it functions as the headquarters of the Lynch chapter of the Eastern Kentucky Social Club.
Backstory and Context
The effects of teacher race, segregation/desegregation, student race, and student sex on teacher-reported student behavior. John Coakley Richardson 1935- 1971
NKAA. African-American Schools, Colored Superintendents at Kentucky Public Schools, 1925.1