However, it would not remain with the Confederacy for the entirety of the war. On August 14th, 1863, the U.S.S. Cricket sailed along the Little Red River and captured the Tom Sugg, along with another ship, at Searcy's Landing. This dealt a significant blow to the Confederacy, as it effectively decimated river transportation in northern Arkansas, which led to supply shortages later on. After being purchased by the Union in September of that year, the Tom Sugg was renamed to U.S.S. Tensas. The Tensas was then outfitted with 2 24-pound howitzers and designated as Tinclad No. 39.
The Tensas would serve the Union until August 7th, 1865, when it was decommissioned - just three months after the end of the Civil War. Ten days later, on August 17th, it was sold at an auction to one E.B. Trinidad. Trinidad was a steamboat captain from Bayou Teche, who renamed it the Teche. The ship once again became a commercial vessel, transporting goods between New Iberia and Morgan City for three years. However, the Teche would find itself wrecked in 1868. It was subsequently salvaged and abandoned.
In 2004, the wreck of the Teche was discovered buried under four feet of mud in the bayou. It was discovered by Paul Allain, a New Iberian architect who had unearthed it during a site excavation. Due to part of it being on private land, however, not all of the ship is state property. The site of the shipwreck was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008, and has a small exhibit at the Bayou Teche Museum.