The Confederates who were positioned on the opposite side of the river had a strategic advantage over the Union forces. The federal Commander orders a charge and the Confederates retreated without loss. The Federals had one killed, a man named Mathias Kayler from Raleigh County. Two other soldiers were wounded, one being Isaac Jackson, who was shot through the left arm and another member of the company. The loss although small, left an impression on the overall movement of the battalion.
The Curry Farm was located 1/4 mile above Hamlin. Hamlin Chapel located on Curry Farm, is important for the role it played in the creation of Lincoln County in 1867. The Hamlin Chapel housed the first meeting of the Board of Supervisors on March 11,1867. Curry Chapel no longer stands but its former location can be found near the intersection of Route 1 and Route 3/11 above the mouth of Straight Fork of Big Buffalo Creek on Mud River. The Curry Chapel Cemetery however can still be found on site.