Woodworth Chapel, Tougaloo College
Erected in 1901, Woodworth Chapel is the center of religious life for Tougaloo College and the surrounding neighborhood. It was named in honor of Dr. Frank G. Woodworth who served as Tougaloo College president from 1887 to 1912. Throughout his twenty-five years of service to the college along with his duties as president he also served as the college's chaplain.During the Civil Rights movement, the Chapel was the venue for prominent activists and leaders.
Backstory and Context