The first rabbi arrived in the late 1880s, confirming the community's established presence in Helena. However, Helena's prosperity began to wane not long after the temple was built. The community's population started to decline due to economic hardship and lack of job opportunities. The congregation was forced to put up the temple for sale in the 1930s and after a few years of sitting vacant, the State of Montana bought it in 1937 and converted it to offices for the Department of Public Welfare Services (which later became the Department of Social Rehabilitation Services). The conversion process entailed stripping the building of all religious decoration and diving it into rooms for offices.
The building once again became vacant in 1976 until the Catholic Diocese purchased it in 1981. In 2001, a small plaque was installed to commemorate the 110th anniversary of the building's construction.