The Alaskan Hotel & Bar
This hotel has welcomed guests to Juneau since its grand opening on September 16, 1913, making this the oldest continual-operating hotel in Alaska. This was also the first dedicated hotel building in the mining town of Juneau, allowing temporary mine workers a choice beyond the overcrowded boarding houses. Promoter/entrepreneur Jules B. Caro and his brothers, James and John McCloskey opened the business which is now owned by Mike and Bettye Adams, a couple that has restored the hotel to its original Victorian beauty. The hotel was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 25, 1978.
Backstory and Context
The hotel was known to accommodate the appetites of itinerant miners, including sales of illicit spirits during Prohibition and legal prostitution. The hotel and bar survived the prohibition by turning their bar into a café for sodas, but it was also known that other beverages could be obtained simply by asking. The hotel also operated a brothel at at least two times in its history. At first the hotel's trade in sex was legal, but the second time the hotel was shut down by local authorities
Local legends suggest that the hotel's run with prostitution continue to "haunt" the hotel.
The legend suggests that a woman who turned to prostitution when she thought her miner husband had died can be felt at times in room 219. The woman was not actually widowed and her husband returned after several weeks of working in the mine. Upon seeing her new craft, the miner killed his wife in the hotel.
History. The Alaskan Hotel & Bar. . . http://www.thealaskanhotel.com/history.
Belanger, Jeff. The Ghosts and Legends of Juneau's Alaskan Hotel. Ghost Village. September 03, 2003. . http://www.ghostvillage.com/legends/2003/legends26_09062003.shtml.