St. Philips Moravian
St. Philips Moravian Church established in 1922 is the oldest black church in North Carolina. It is the only historical black Moravian church in the United States. The black congregation built their own church when they were no longer accepted at the white Moravian service. The black congregation erected a church near an African American cemetery. The congregation was made mostly of slaves.
Backstory and Context
St. Philips church was established when the white Moravians no longer allowed African Americans to attend their service. They told the black congregation to build their own church. The church sits near an African American cemetery. After the church was established white sisters taught slaves to read during Sunday school for nine years. .