New London, Virginia was home to an arsenal that manufactured and supplied weapons and equipment for the Continental Army and state militias during the American Revolution. Weapons from the arsenal were used to support several important campaigns, including Colonel George Rogers Clark’s Northwest expedition and General Nathaniel Greene’s Southern campaign. After the war, the arsenal remained under state control until 1784 when Congress passed an act authorizing the War Department to construct “three or four arsenals” to keep the army properly equipped . With its already established arsenal, New London was a natural choice. In 1798, the process of moving the arsenal to Harper’s Ferry, Virginia was begun. Despite no longer being used to manufacture weapons, the New London facility continued to be used for military storage until at least 1812. The original structure is no longer standing, and it is not known for certain where the buildings stood. It is believed to have been somewhere in the vicinity of the old Bedford Alum Springs Hotel and the former Driskill General Store.