Clio Logo

Completed in 1895, the Confederate Monument in Louisville was built with funding from the Kentucky Women's Confederate Monument Association. In 2002 plans were initiated to make the monument part of a "Freedom Park" a public park that would include monuments to African American leaders and trees from historic Civil War battlefields. On November 17, 2008, funding was approved for that park. However, in 2016 the monument was removed to Brandenburg, Kentucky at the request of city and University leaders.


  • The monument is now located in Brandenburg, Kentucky
  • A view of the monument circa 1930

This and other Confederate monuments continue were erected in the 1890s to both honor aging veterans and to defend the "Lost Cause" of the Confederacy. The connection between slavery and secession and the Confederacy, as well as the South's violent reaction to Reconstruction, serve as reminders of the relevance of the past and the meaning of monuments. For example, despite the fact that Kentucky rejected secession, there are more Confederate Monuments in Kentucky than Union monuments.