E.B. Hamrick Hall is currently located on the campus of Gardner-Webb University in Boiling Springs, North Carolina. Hamrick Hall as it is commonly known, was first built in 1925 and underwent renovations in the 1940s and in 1998. While the building has served many purposes over its almost 100 year existence, it currently houses the Godbold School of Business. In it are all of the classrooms for the School of Business as well as the offices for the faculty in the school. Additionally, Hamrick Hall is home to Blanton Auditorium, a 300 seat venue designed for various types of events including recitals, and academic lectures.
Originally named the Memorial Building, E.B. Hamrick
Hall was first built in 1925 on the campus of what was then known as Boiling Springs
High School. The school transitioned to a
Junior College in 1928. In 1937 while already
suffering the plagues of the Great Depression, the College took a serious blow
when the Memorial Building as it was still known, burned. Fortunately, only the inside of the building
was lost and the exterior remained.
Due to financial hardships, the renovation of the building
was not completed until 1943, however upon its completion, the building was
renamed E.B. Hamrick Hall after Elijah Bly Hamrick. Hamrick was a prominent businessman in the Boiling
Springs community and had been a significant contributor to the school as well
as serving on its board of trustees since its inception.
The building remained a central part of the campus as
the College grew and prospered. In 1942
its name was changed to Gardner-Webb College in honor of former North Carolina
Governor O. Max Gardner and his wife.
Additionally, in 1948, the school became a member of the Baptist Colleges
of the North Carolina Baptist State Convention.
The College’s crowning achievement came in 1971 however when it gained
status as an accredited four-year college.
In 1982, Hamrick Hall gained status on the list of the National Register
of Historic Places. In 1993 the College
became known as Gardner-Webb University.
The building however in 1981 suffered another fire
that once again damaged the interior of the building. The building set empty for many years until
in 1998 renovations in it were completed and it reopened to the state it is in
today. The building now serves as the home
to the Graduate and Undergraduate programs of the Godbold School of
Business. The building houses many multimedia
classrooms for theses programs, a computer lab, as well as faculty offices. Also found in the building is the Tucker
Library, a library that houses literature specific to the Business School and
also provides place for students to study.
Blanton Auditorium, a 300 seat venue
designed for various types of events including recitals, and academic lectures
can also be found on the main floor of the building.