The first cotton mill in Cleveland County.
Double Shoals Mill was a textile mill located in Cleveland
County, North Carolina. It began when
Thomas R. Jackson deeded 268 acres to Albert A. Homsley. Homsley eventually built a mill building in
1855 that became the precursor to the Double Shoals Mill. The Double Shoals Mill was the first mill
building in Cleveland County. The
building and land changed hands in 1867 and again in 1874 when it was sold to
E. A. Morgan. He named the mill Double Shoals
Mill Company. The Morgan family
continued to run the mill until 1919 when it was sold again. Throughout the
1900’s, the mill changed owners several times until it ceased all manufacturing
in the 1980’s.
There were several different products produced in this mill
over time. Throughout the years of operation,
the manufacturing products changed greatly.
Some of these products included: cloth, cotton yarn, twine, other types
of yarn, rugs, and car seat covering material.
Double Shoals Mill began with just one mill building but
expanded over the years. The mill
resembles a post-Civil War textile mill and now consists of several buildings
and several acres of land. Today the
mill buildings are in the process of being renovated. The property is now being used as an indoor
and outdoor event space, an auto restoration shop, and art classes are also