Built in 1938, this three-story concrete and masonry structure provided a training space for local units of the Washington State National Guard, many of which served overseas. The Armory also has served as a center for community activities in Pullman, hosting everything from music performances, comedy acts, athletic events, and yoga. Its austere, stripped-down, symmetrical facade includes an arched, recessed entryway in the manner of a Romanesque church.
The Armory building was constructed in the Art
Deco/Art Moderne style as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The PWA
was a large-scale public construction agency created as part of the New Deal of
1933. Like other New Deal programs, the PWA provided employment to encourage
the recovery of the American economy in the 1930s. In addition to government
buildings like post offices, the PWA financed the construction of dams,
schools, airports, and hospitals.
the Armory opened, it featured a drill floor, supply room, and arms vault with
showers and a rifle range in the basement. A 161st infantry company
trained at the facility.1