Clio Logo

The original Frederick Douglass Hall was completed in 1904 and named in honor of Frederick Douglass, a former slave who became one of the most influential Americans of the 19th century. Douglass Hall served as a dormitory and an auditorium for three decades until it was destroyed by a fire in 1934. This building serves as a dormitory and was constructed to match the appearance of the original structure.


  • The original Frederick Douglass Hall shortly after it was completed in 1904

Tuskegee University, a private historically black University was established in 1881 and is now a National Historic Landmark. This building is named of Frederick Douglass, who fled his former master Frederick Bailey on September 3, 1838. Douglass joined the abolitionist movement and under the tutelage of William Lloyd Garrison, he became a leading voice of the movement. Garrison came to resent Douglass' fame after the publication of Douglass's autobiography Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave in 1845. The book offers a description of the brutal reality of Douglass's life as a slave in Maryland and led to Douglass becoming one of the leading speakers at meetings of anti-slavery societies.  

Douglass's escape was made possible by a sailor who trusted Frederick Douglass gave him his papers so that Douglass could convince authorities that he was a free man. Bouncing from boat to train, train to boat, Douglass made it far enough north that he could stop running and begin a new life. After the Civil War, Douglass became one of the most influential black leaders and called for equal political and educational opportunities. 

Hilton, Mark. hmdb.org. The Historical Marker Database. March 11, 2017. Accessed February 28, 2018. www.hmdb.org.

Biography.com. Biography. February 13,2017. Accessed February 28, 2018. www.biography.com.

NPS.gov. NPS. September 17,2016. Accessed February 28, 2018. www.NPS.gov.