William Trent Jr. was born circa 1715 in Philadelphia, four years before the William Trent Sr. built the Trenton home. William Trent entered the trading business and is best-known for his involvement in the French-Indian War as a Captain of the Virginia Regiment. He was promoted to Captain at the beginning of the war in 1754 served under young Lieutenant Colonel George Washington, the future inaugural President of the United States.
In 1760, Trent became a member of a trading firm in Fort Pitt at the confluence of the Allegheny River, Monongahela River, and Ohio River. Fort Pitt was England's attempt to gain control over the trade with area tribes and wrest control over the area from the French. According to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, During the summer of 1763, while stationed at Fort Pitt, William Trent kept a journal and orderly book, which together present one of the most detailed and complete accounts of the Indian siege on the British settlements. William Trent died five years later in 1787.
After the passing of William Trent senior, a number of Trenton's most prestigious families including three New Jersey Governors, a physician, and a colonel lived in the home. In 1929, Edward Ansley Stokes gave the property to the City of Trenton. The house was restored to its original appearance in the early 1930s and it has served as a local history museum since 1939.. The building was added NRHP (National Register of Historic Places) in 1970.