The Kansas Aviation Museum is in the Terminal and Administration building of the former Municipal Airport in Wichita. The building and landing area are constructed on ground that had never been plowed and was known as the California section. The Park Board purchased 640 acres (2.59 km2) in 1928. Construction started the building on July 1, 1930, but was soon halted due to the Great Depression and lack of funds. The building sat uncompleted until 1935. It soon became one of the important airport hubs in the country.