Founded in 1905 as the Arkansas Historical Commission, the Arkansas State Archives is dedicated to the collection, preservation and research of state historical records and artifacts. These items include manuscripts, family histories, newspapers, art, artifacts, genealogical records, military records, and state, county, and federal records. In all, the archives contains 13,000 cubic feet of material. It also features and history and genealogical library. The archives operates two branches, the Southwest Arkansas Regional Archives and the Northeast Arkansas Regional Archives.
The archives was originally located in the State Capitol building for the few decades before moving into the west wing of the Old State House in 1951. It moved to its current location in 1971 and adopted its current name in 2016.