The New York Central and Hudson Railroad had a monopoly on travel from New York City to Rochester, and anywhere else in the state for that matter. The original Central-Hudson train station was built in 1882 at the intersection of N. St. Paul Street and Central Avenue in downtown Rochester. In 1895, after Fredrick Douglass’s death, the Central-Hudson Railroad was the choice of transportation for the long trip from Washington D.C. to Rochester, Douglass’s final resting place. The Central-Hudson station was replaced just 19 years later in 1914. Since then the train station has moved just down Central Avenue to its current location.
This entry is part of a public history project developed by the RIT Museum Studies program in celebration of the bicentennial of Frederick Douglass’s birth (February 1818).
Location given is the location of the modern Amtrak depot in Rochester.
New York Central and Hudson River R.R. Depot. 1901-1913. Rochester Public Library Local History postcard collection, Rochester, N.Y. https://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/?section=resource&resourceid=1115911534¤tIndex=0&view=fullD...
Please see the digitized scrapbooks related to Frederick
Douglass in the Monroe County Library Collection: