Trees Enclosed by Bench
This tree was planted by Fredrick Douglas for the Kellers on their property as a sign of friendship. He planted two of them, yet one unfortunately fell do to storm damage in 1920. A hospital now stands where the house and the trees once stood. This is sad as the tree which was once planted as a sign of friendship between Fredrick Douglass and the Kellers fell more than two decades after it was planted. The only surviving trace of the trees that stood long ago are the two pictures taken by Albert R. Stone, who took the only two known photos found in RMSC's collection. This entry is part of a public history project developed by the RIT Museum Studies program in celebration of the bicentennial of Frederick Douglass’s birth (February 1818). The items shown in this entry are taken from a scrapbook that is one of two in the collections of the Local History and Genealogy Divisions of Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County Library.
Backstory and Context