The Lake Avenue Baptist Church is the home of Dr. C. A. Barbour, who delivered the tribute on Douglass to the Women’s Ethical Club (Scrapbook 2, page 23). The church was originally built and opened in 1866, then eventually torn down and rebuilt in 1890. The new church in 1890 under Barbour was built out of red sandstone. The new location of the church was found on Cameron Street, housing the largest membership amongst churches in Rochester.
This entry is part of a public history project developed by the RIT Museum Studies program in celebration of the bicentennial of Frederick Douglass’s birth (February 1818).The items shown in this entry are taken from a scrapbook that is one of two in the collections of the Local History and Genealogy Divisions of Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County Library.