Ferry Plantation House
Backstory and Context
The Ferry Plantation House was constructed by George McIntosh ca. 1830 using the best bricks salvaged from an earlier manor home on the property, which burned ca. 1828. The ca. 1780 southeast wing was adapted from an early kitchen outbuilding to be joined to the new construction. The northwest frame wing was added ca. 1850 to expand the home to include a best parlor on the first floor and a bedroom on the second floor. The exterior was originally covered with oyster stucco that was removed in the late 1980s when the masonry was re-pointed. The building was re-pointed again in 2011. The chimneys remain covered. Modem conveniences such as plumbing and electricity were added to the home in the 1930s.
The Ferry Plantation House stands two and a half-stories and is laid in a three course American bond. The ca. 1830 building includes two two-story historic wings and a modem one-story frame wing. The southeast wing predates the main portion of the home and was constructed during the mid-1700s. The northwest wing was added in 1850 after the central block was completed to add more living space. The home remained relatively unaltered from this point until ca. 1900 when C.M. Barnett constructed a landside porch.
The southeast wing is the oldest section of the home. This wing predates the main portion of the home and has been dated through paint analysis to ca. 1780. Physical evidence that this wing was originally a freestanding building is seen in a stuccoed exterior wall in the closet connecting the southeast wing to the main section.