Independence Church was organized in 1836 by the first settlers in Jasper County. The church originally met in the log cabin of John Gillam. A log church was erected in 1849, which was replaced by a frame structure, the current building, in 1872. It was renovated and a basement added in 1949.
Backstory and Context
The church is in good repair, and in recent years the Independence Property Management Corporation was founded to assist with efforts to preserve the building and its history.
Beginning in 2016 the annual Homecoming, on the last Sunday in August, has been revived, and the get-togethers have been well attended.
A large cemetery adjoins the church grounds, and contains burials of prominent early Jasper County settlers, as well as many from the nearby town of Medaryville, which is in Pulaski County.
Much information about the church and cemetery is available on the project website.