Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart
A view of the Cathedral Basilica.
Backstory and Context
In 1859, a Bishop by the name of Bayley proposed the construction of a new Cathedral in the city of Newark. It was not until 1898, however, that construction actually began on the proposed Cathedral. Construction spanned for a great deal of time, however, and was stalled further in 1902 when creative visions between those involved clashed. The feuding became so great that by 1908, construction on the Cathedral had ceased completely. The conflicts were settled by 1910, resulting in some deconstruction of the Cathedral, but nevertheless, construction was back underway. More issues arose and stalled construction, but the Cathedral opened for worship amidst these troubles on May 1, 1928.
As worship and construction continued, the Cathedral was
finally completed and dedicated on October 19, 1954. The Cathedral found much
use among its attendees, but in 1995, a greater honor was bestowed upon the
Cathedral of the Sacred Heart. The Pope John Paul II visited the United States
at this time, and during his travels, he visited the Cathedral. Aside from
honoring the Cathedral with a visit, he also bestowed upon the Cathedral the
title of Basilica, changing it to the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
Today, the Cathedral Basilica continues to welcome those who would walk through
its doors with open arms.