Newark Female Charitable Society was located in a 3-story red brick and terra cotta building that was built in 1886. The Society was founded by the leading women of Newark in 1803. In addition to over a century of charitable work, the building and Society are historically significant as the oldest social service agency in New Jersey and the third oldest in the United States. The Society is now known as the Newark Day Center and functions as a community organization. It still occupies 305 Halsey and 43 Hill, which together house a child development center, a senior center, and other programs that benefit Newark residents.